Wednesday 25 May 2011

Vincentennial: Day Four | Tracking down the Legacy of Vincent Price Exhibit


After Monday's screening of Laura and Dragonwyck, and a very informative Q&A from Washington University media studies professor Gallen Studlar, I headed out yesterday to St Louis' Grand Center area to track down the Legacy of Vincent Price Exhibit.

After drooling over the beautifully ornate Fabulous Fox Theatre on Washington Boulevard, I headed into the Sheldon Art Galleries where the carefully selected exhibit is being housed until August. Historical artefacts, movie memorabilia and ephemera assembled from the collections of Price aficionados, Robert Taylor, Rick Squires, Jenni Nolan O'Dell and Cortland Hull (the grandson of Henry Hull, who appeared opposite Price in Master of the World) come together for the first time to honor the life and career of the great man.

Being a collector myself, I recognised many of the artefacts on show. And although I possess similar items, I still found myself smiling with glee (or is that envy?) at some of the items - especially those that had been signed by Price and people like Roger Corman and Barbara Steele.

The big draw here, however, are the historical items that have been sought and secured by Robert Taylor. Vincent's baby book, a lock of his hair, and a most wonderful drawing by Price of Helen Hayes when they appeared on stage in London in the 1930s are truly unique.


Another surprise are the life-size figures of Dr Phibes and Professor Jarrod from House of Wax. I really could not believe that the Jarrod figure was wearing the actual costume Price wore in the film.

Visiting the exhibit on a work day was a real bonus, as I had the place practically to myself. What a treat! This Friday, Robert Taylor will host a talk at 2pm about collecting Vincent Price ephemera. It's open to the public, so all are welcome.

For a short tour of the exhibit, have a look at my YouTube video.


No comments: